পৃষ্ঠাসমূহ

১৩ সেপ, ২০১৩

Diary of Tajuddin Ahmad

Introduction:

Tajuddin Ahmed, 46. Prime Minister, a lawyer who has been a chief organizer in the Awami League since its founding in 1949. He is an expert in economics and is considered one of the party's leading intellectuals.

Monday, Dec. 20, 1971. TIME Magazine
Bangladesh: Out of War, a Nation Is Born

Handwriting of Tajuddin Ahmad
― This is how the TIME Magazine described Tajuddin Ahmad(1925 - 1975) who was the first Prime Minister of Bangladesh and served the country during its liberation war in 1971. In his younger age he used to keep diaries in English, not because of any political reason but to write down his daily works and personal things. He regularly kept it from 1946 to 1956. Few of those diaries survived the calamities of the war. The following is his two days entry from the diary of 1947-1948. This shows his thoughts and philosophy about his one-time political rival Mr. M. K. Gandhi, after the Congressman was shot dead in Delhi. It has to be remembered that when Tajuddin Ahmad is writing this, he is a Bengali Muslim youth of 22 years and a full time political worker of Muslim League. Moreover, Indian subcontinent has just got independence from British imperialism.


30.1.48

Rise 7 Am, Study 7-30 Am to 10 Am.
― No study afterwards.

                At 1 pm Naimuddin Sb[1] sent a slip for 20/- ― gave a cheque of 20/-

                At 4-45 pm went out with Fazlur Rahman & Habibullah ― halted in League office ― Mujib, Showkat, Kalu, Nurul Huda were present ― came out at 5-30 pm ― Fazlur Rahman & Habibullah gone.

                With Hazrat Ali came to Dr. Karim ― remained there upto 7 pm ― came to Basiruddin at 7-15 pm ― he did not take the copy.

                Came to Mr. Shahjahan's house at 7-45 pm to meet Kamruddin Sb ― Jalil was there.

Sad day (Friday) ― Sad news

                Just at 8 pm Jalil told me that Gandhiji was shot dead ― I could not believe ― Mr. Shahjahan corroborated ― I was puzzled and for about 3 minutes I remained in nervousness ― at the first utterance of news a peculiar harsh cry like voice came out of my voice ― Kamruddin Sb came down at 8-20 pm ― he was very much upset.

                At 8-30 pm came out of Nurjahan Building ― heard the news of Radio at Becharams Dewry with my own ears ― came to F.H. Hall[2] at 9 pm & then to Dhaka Hall ― heard Pandit Nehru's speech and that of Sardar Patel from 9-30 pm to 10 pm ― came back at 11 pm.

Bed at 12 pm
Weather normal.

For the first time I got shock from human death which I always take for a very usual thing to happen.

Mahatma Gandhi ― born at Porbandar, Kathiwar, on 2nd October 1869 ― died at Birlabhaban, New Delhi, on 30th January, 1948 at 5-40 pm(I.S.T.)[3] from assailant's bullet shot ― He was 78 years 3 months 28 days.

                Gandhiji was as usual proceeding towards the dias of his evening prayer meeting at 5-10 pm(I.S.T.) when one man stood up and shot 3 round pistol bullet one penetrating Mahatma's chest and two others his abdomen ― he fell senseless ― Manu Gandhi and Ava Gandhi supported him ― he was profusely bleeding ― after 30 minutes he breathed his last in Birla Bhaban.

                The assailant was immediately caught by the audience ― His name is Nathuram Vinayak Godse ― he is a Bombay Marahtta ― Editor of Hindu Rastro.

                It is to remember that only on 20th January, 10 days before, one man threw Bomb towards Gandhiji while he was addressing the gathering of his prayer meeting in the evening ― But that time he escaped.

                To me death is a common and natural thing ― I never mourn anybody's death. I remember the death of my elder brother which took place in 1944 ― I was absent during his death ― but I could not find any reason why I should be sorry for him.

                I remember the death of my own father only one year before ― a few days to complete the year ― I was at Calcutta during his death in spite of his will ― mourning was completely absent in me ― I only felt the burden of the family for the first time ― I remember that I took 4 paratas and a complete full cup of meat just about after 15 minutes of the receipt of the news of my father's demise and I also remember how I slept a sound sleep at the next night of my father's death in the very place where he breathed his last.

                But the case is different with me at the death of Gandhiji. I wanted to shake off the melancholy in me as weakness. I took my night meal at 12 pm in spite of my will. But I could not sleep against my will. While I was awake I was in Gandhiji, when slumber caught me due to numbness it took me to Gandhiji.

                In the past the same I spoke against this Great Soul for political achievements though not from conviction. To strengthen Muslim League was to weaken Congress; and the best way of weakening Congress was to belittle Mahatma Gandhi, the very Soul of the great organization. This was the only explanation of my conduct.


31.1.48

Rise 8 Am. No Study.

                Attended the Condolence meeting at the University Premises ― Began under presidency of Dr. Hasan at 12-30 pm ― dissolved at 2 pm ― Messrs Dr. M. Hosain, Dr S. M. Hosain, Kazi Motahar Hosain, Prof. Mujafar Ahmad Choudhury, B. A. Siddiqui & others spoke.

                At 2-30 pm went to Rly station[4] to get news Paper ― People were rushing for paper in such a way as was not seen even in the 3rd Class Booking office of the Cinema Halls of Dacca ― Man upon man strangling the one, suffocating the other and trampling yet another was rushing forward to get at least a scrap of paper where in lay the news of their hitherto unfelt beloved friend ― I never saw such a crowd aiming at getting something ― I remember the demand and high price of papers which published the sad demise of the great Poet Rabindranath ― yet a then a full paper was got at paying ― but this time one paid others shared the scraps ― such was the demand ― within 1 hour no paper was available ― people were searching and waiting for papers as if mail has had to arrive still.

                At 3-30 pm went to Nazir Library[5] ― heard the Cremation Ceremony of the great sage over A. I. R.[6] upto 6-15 pm ― Back to mess at 7-30 pm. Bed at 10 pm. Weather normal.

                Whole city observed Hartal ― an unprecedented scene for Dacca City.

                Condolence precession went out from Victoria Park ― met in a Condolence meeting at Coronation Park under presidency of Srish Chatterjee at 5 pm ― Silent prayer ― no speech.

                Sun declined and the Beacon Light of humanity declined too. Is it darkness then? ― Light and darkness, darkness and light, night comes after day and day chases the night, clouds and then sunshine, calamitous new moon and then delightful full moon, despair finds expression in hope, troublous present passes into forgetful past and sceptic future crawls on to present with fruition of hope ― and so goes the world.

                The man whom we mourn today was one who travelled his long way through darkness to light. Sometimes even he had to hover in the darkness for light. He searched for light and lo! he himself was a light. A light can't be destroyed. It  may be far from us. What of that! The pole star though unimaginably distant from us is always and the only guide for the people of ages in the dark arctic region. Every twinkle of its small eyes is a guidance for us. Let us take the guidance of our Pole Star of the ages and follow the footprint he left behind in addition. Amen!

                At 11-45 Am (I.S.T.) Mahatma's body was taken out from Birla Bhaban in procession. The cortege was carried by military personnel because the funeral was declared a 'State funeral'. At 4-20 pm the Bier reached Rajghat on Jumna. At 4-30 pm the body was placed on the pyre with head to the north. Devadas Gandhi placed over his body a pile of sandal wood. Ramdas Gandhi lit the pyre at 4-55 pm (I.S.T.). At 5 pm Mahatma's remains became ashes. Pandit Ramdhan Sharma read mantras over Mahatma.

                Pyre was provided with 15 mds of Sandal wood, 4 mds of ghee, 2 mds of incense, 1 md[7] cocoanut and 15 seers camphor.

                I am luxurious in one thing though it is insignificant, that is in dressing hair. Today I could not take bath nor did I care for hair dressing for 48 hours. I remember one day Mr. Waseque rebuked me in Muslim League office for my using snow on 10th Muharram. That day I said I did not believe in that sort of expression of grief. But this time I had abandoned it for two days from inner urge and out of forgetfulness.


Young Tajuddin Ahmad
Footnotes:

[1] Sb : Shaheb
[2] F.H. Hall : Fazlul Huq Hall/Fazlul Huq Muslim Hall, Estb. 1940
[3] I.S.T. : Indian Standard Time
[4] Rly station : Railway Station
[5] Nazir Library : A library in Old Dhaka
[6] A. I. R. : All India Radio
[7] md : Maund, 40 Seers




Introduction and copy from the manuscript :

Arindam Gustavo Biswas
11 September 2013
Dhaka